What is the treatment to cure wheezing due to allergic rhinitis whtiout undergoing DNS surgery?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am getting affected with allergic rhinitis/hay fever frequently. The symptoms normally occurs are sneezing, nasal congestion, eye watering , severe pain in the nasal bones and head ache. Some times i suffer from wheezing problems also. When i consulted a DR, I am advised to do DNS surgery, as in left nose nasal bone is blended. I don't prefer doing the DNS surgery. Could you please help me in this?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 35 hours later
Brief Answer: Allergic symptoms may not improve with surgery Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Allergic rhinitis is a condition in which one has allergy in the upper respiratory tract. The symptoms of allergic rhinitis are excessive sneezing, watery rhinorrhea and itching in the nose. Nasal obstruction may or may not be a symptom in allergic rhinitis patients. This obstruction if present can be because of turbinate hypertrophy and/or DNS or both. DNS surgery in allergic rhinitis patients is usually indicated for obstructive symptoms as surgery usually does not remove the allergic symptoms. So, if your doctor is doing it for obstructive symptoms, you can go ahead with it. For allergic symptoms, these may not improve with surgery. Feel free to ask another query. Regards