Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment swelling and bruising caused after a fall?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I do crossfit for excercise and after deadline, did box jumps and my legs gave out on me and my chin gashed into box with most of my weight. Have swelling and bruising a few cuts. Have been elevating leg and icing, but after 4 days, I still have a burning sensation around bruised area. Is this normal? Recommendations or anything I should be more proactively doing or concerned about?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is a part of normal inflammatory process. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX All the symptoms in the your description occur as a part of normal physiological response of the injured tissues and due to the inflammatory substances released at the site of injury. There will be temporary concussion injury of the nerves at the injured area leading to burning sensation. Generally, all these signs and symptoms will settle down with time, mostly within a week or two. The general treatment guidelines for your condition are as follows - - Give adequate rest for the injured area for it to recuperate and avoid any movements that produces pain - Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area - Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could make the symptoms worse. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling - Oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve or Motrin) can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calms the inflammation. Your symptoms should resolve with the above measures. If not, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor