What is the treatment for wheezing and eczema with dust allergy?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Dear Dr, my sixteen year old son has got dust allergy and he is very prone to getting flu and wheezing. He has got nasal blockage. We live in the UK and this situation aggravates during the cold months. He has continuously got ezcema and even though he applies Double Base Cream and Oilatum soap this doesnt help him. He is overweight even though he does regular excercise. He gains weight very rapidly. I would like to know how he can get treated for his flu/wheezing, eczema, and weight loss. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Antihistaminics, steroid sprays, steroid ointments Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Dust allergy is quiet common. It can manifest as nasal allergy, chest allergy and/or skin allergy. Avoidance of allergen is the best preventive measure and reduces the number of episodes. Otherwise, nasal allergy can best be treated with intranasal steroid sprays and acute episodes usually oral antihistaminics or a combination of antihistaminic with antileukotriene. Anti-allergic nasal sprays are also available either alone or in combination with intra nasal steroids. Eczema is usually treated with antihistaminics and is used as a need based treatment. Use of steroid ointments like mometasone in consultation with a dermatologist to control the problem in severe cases. Immunosuppressive drugs like tacrolimus are used in ointment form and are effective a mid-level steroids. Weight loss can be achieved with a good combination of exercise and dietary modifications. Avoidance of high carbohydrate and high fat diet is part of the general diet plan of the patients with the use of high fibre diet. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 784 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Skin allergy

doctor1 MD

My girlfriend, aged 18 used I-pill after we had unprotected sex. Now She is having Skin allergies plus, she is having pain in her hands and legs...

doctor1 MD

11 years ago- colonoscopy: found nothing, declared diarrhea to be due to ibs. Eliminated triggers: dairy, caffiene, high fat. For years- saving...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a 5yr shar pei who is rather stubborn but has not eaten for 3 days but is drinking normal. Have tried giving scrambled egg but had to...

doctor1 MD

A rash has appeared above my wrist on the outside of my arm. It first appeared two weeks ago, overnight, then went within a few days. It has...

doctor1 MD

A child age 7 having h/o Hypothyroidsm , with recurrent respiratory tract infections, controlled only with steroids . what would be the other...

doctor1 MD

Iam having montair LC from past 3-4 years as I have skin allergy issue and now iam trying to conceive. Can I continue to take this medication

doctor1 MD

Is nebulization safe in children. I have a 3 yr son who has congenital heart problem. He frequently gets cold , cough which causes him discomfort....

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

128 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction