Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for varicose veins?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
What is the treatment for varicose veins?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Conservative management first... Detailed Answer: Hi, Varicose veins can be managed conservatively with help of tight compression stockings. You would get those limb stockings at any medical store nearby. You can seek a doctors help if you are confused about the right size. The compression stockings can be worn under your clothes every day. You can walk and perform all your activities with the stockings on. At rest you can sleep with the limb elevated. Vein ligation and stripping is a surgery where the affected veins are removed. This procedure is done in limited cases of varicose veins when they are large and associated with complications. I am unable to fully appreciate the varicosity as you have taken the picture is a seated posture. If the veins are not very large in standing posture, I don't think you need to consider surgery at this point. In simple terms, I think you should start using compression stockings while walking and working. While resting/sleeping, keep the limb elevated under couple of pillows. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for varicose veins? 20 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will try and send you clearer picture of the veins in standing posture by tomorrow. Post that will need couple of clarifications regarding compression stockings. Is there any particular brand that you recommend? Since the problem veins seem to be at the back side of my thighs, behind my knee and on the calf muscles as well - any particular type of stocking that you recommend? Look forward to hearing back from you. Best regards XXXXXXX Sarkar
Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is best to talk to a surgeon... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Compression stockings are used by surgeons for varicose veins and following limb surgeries. As a physician with limited exposure to surgeries, I am unaware of various brands / sizes available in the current market. You can discuss about these stockings with a surgeon nearby and he/she would be able to suggest you the best one. Alternatively, you might discuss with the pharmacist at the nearest pharmacy/surgical stores. Please note that compression stockings is only a means to keep you free from symptoms and complications of varicose veins. Surgery is the lone corrective treatment. Hope this answers your question. You are free to upload more pictures here. But if you feel all your concerns are addressed, I request you to close this discussion and rate your experience. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for varicose veins? 2 days later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I think, I have got better clarity now. Just wanted to check if I have to go and visit a surgeon, what kind of specialist do I refer to. I mean, should I go to an Orthopaedics Surgeon or some other Surgeon? Please let me know and thank you once again for your detailed clarifications to my queries. Best regards
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: General surgeon... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX General surgeon would be the ideal choice. Varicose veins are dealt by general surgeon. You can consult some one nearby your locality and take his suggestions. You can discuss about compression stockings with him. I hope all your questions are answered now. If you are satisfied with this answer, please close this discussion and review. All the best!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor