Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for swollen shin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I hit my Shin last week and its still swollen. It also hurts when I bend my foot when walking. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: X-ray should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. According to the picture it does not look bad. There is a wound which is healing good. It may hurt as the muscles and other tissues have been injured. The pain can be present for even a week or two. If there was no X-ray of this area after the injury and the pain is still present, it would be good to have bone fractures ruled out. You should consult orthopedist for an examination of this area. In a meanwhile please try to not overload this leg and put it a little bit higher when lying down (on the pillow). This will increase healing process. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor