Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for swollen jaw and blisters inside my child's mouth?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
what is it when the child has a swollen face jaw that hurts and blisters on the inside and outside of mouth also in the throat had a strep test done, came back negative.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Viral infection, probably herpangina Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks a lot for your query. By the description of the symptoms, this is most likely a viral infection, and the most compatible one would be a syndrome called herpangina, caused by a Coxsackie virus, and causing quite painful lesions inside the mouth, in the lips and rarely in the hands and feet, along with fever, sore throat, headache, congestion and malaise. The treatment is supportive, with analgesics like iburpofen and acetaminophen for pain and inflammation, magic mouthwash to alleviate the painful oral lesions and benzocaine lozenges also to numb the oral cavity and allow eating and drinking. Hope this helps, Happy Holidays, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor