Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for soreness and stiffness in swollen knee after accidentally punching the knee?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hello. I got accidentally punched in the knee during a karate session about 8 hours ago. It hurt a little at the time, but I was able to continue working out in a normal fashion. Came home, took a shower, watched TV, went to bed, no problem. Then I woke up in the night with pain in the knee. It feels a little stiff and swollen when I flex the knee, and it's kind of sore when I press down on the inside of the knee over onto the front of the knee. I can walk, but it's kind of painful and my knee feels weak. I also have kind of an ache in my calf and thigh. Pain is not severe, but when I got up to take some Aleve, I was light-headed and dizzy and had to quickly lay back down. Have I possibly done some serious damage?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be soft tissue injury or muscular strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. From description it seems to be soft tissue injury or muscular strain over knee. Any strained muscle when stretched, give rise to pain. Following measure will help in recovery- Give rest to your knee. Avoid any activities that aggravate the pain. Do icing over affected area to reduce swelling and inflammation. Once the swelling subsides, apply heating pads over it to relieve the stiffness. Apply crepe bandage compression over the area. Continue taking aleve as and when required to relieve pain. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor