Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for sore back?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Dear Dr., I am about to leave for a steroid for right plantar facitis - after 3 months. Joke is that it is least of my issues. I feel violently ill in back muscles. Would be good if they were sore from use. I am waiting on the referals I have - category 2 in local public hospital with a Rhematologist. GPs will not make more referals. But I physically cannot cope with more from much longer. Feels like my torso is slowly being strangled by fibres. Drs agreed I should take narcotics regularly (again), but that is not a treatment. I keep busy so depression does not govern me, but the painful, fibrous fatigue pulling off my Thoracic spine... I am likely to gatecrash my GP/surgery today as it is that bad. Must shave and go - back in 2 hours?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rehab Detailed Answer: Hi, They asked me to answer this query on behalf of Dr. XXXXXXX Sore back is a nagging problem for many. There are ways to get rid of it permanently. While it pains, the muscles are crying, so you should rest them. I mean complete bed rest. Lie on a firm and flat floor for 24 to 48 hours. Give them good pain medication, may be narcotics if required. This is temporary relief. Once the acute pain is relieved, you should get to a physical therapist / Rehab who can guide you with back muscle strengthening exercises. These exercises help your muscle conditions to the daily activities (ofcourse not lifting weights) so that you would not have acute and severe pain next time. There are other holistic methods like massage, acupuncture and biofeedback which were again recommended by lot of clinicians and patients as well. You should try to meet the physical medicine / Rehab expert. Since this does not require a referral you can directly go to them. Waiting for a referral delays the healing and wastes the time to strengthen the muscles. The muscles of the back are very small and thin, imagine the muscles in the fingers, hence do not lift weight, do not sit down, straight back is better. I hope you had come back now after the steroid injection for plantar fascitis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for sore back? 5 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Mazumdar, Thank you. I have been forced to rest other than home duties and walking to pay bills. I will try to do the hard floor rest for 2 days and have been given a rehab technique called 'Front and Back' to treat the Psosas from the front with a change of ice and pressure. The very obvious thing that I feel are many multiple of benign lipomas, a couple quite large and identifiable to soft touch. Most are small to smaller, and still more are fibrous running off muscles under ribs, between ribs. Some sit is spots to irritate biceps with a strong dull ache. Others form a band of entrapment which causes burning pain across upper arms, chest, under front and back ribs. Having an avenue of diagnosis open is my biggest question. I have read radiological reports of manifestation and histiography of lipomas. I do not have a doctor who will take the time to feel and map the many lipomas, then consider MRI with XXXXXXX use of prolozone or adult stem cell treatment. I saw a skin specialist today who did not charge me more than the government rebate. He indicated that he had no working knowledge of symmetrical benign lipomas or Dercum's Disease? The other choice is to wait till I get extensive testing and treatment for various antiobiotics for myosios. I am not sure what appointments may emerge or their costs? Sincerely, XXXXXXX Uebergang
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 days later
Brief Answer: Biopsy of the lump clinches the diagnosis Detailed Answer: General surgeons do examine these lumps well than a Dermatologist. They will be able to feel the lump and say whether it is lipoma or something else. Fibromas also mimic lipoma. So it is important to distinguish them. Most of the time they do not require extra testing unless you insist on it. Would you like to bear the extra cost for MRI. Since they are multiple in number it just adds to the MRI XXXXXXX which I do not think is worth. Suppose they start treatmen on a working diagnosis, then they need to remove one superficial and yet smaller lump to send it for biopsy. This clinches the diagnosis. I prefer to do that than the costly MRI.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor