Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for premature ventricular contractions with indigestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2254 Questions
Hello, I have been suffering from PVCS for several years now. Last year I went to the ER and was hooked up to an EKG while I was getting a PVC every 4-5 seconds. They did blood work and an xray. The doctor said they were benign. My family doctor looked at the EKG print out and also said they were benign. I worry about them so much and they make me feel horrible. (thumping in the chest.) Sometimes I notice they are accompanied by indigestion. I am on Toprol xl 50 mg. The beta blocker has not lessened the PVCS but maybe has made them a little less noticable. Please help me.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please follow the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your concerns very carefully, which I think is most probably related to arrhythmia and your anxiety disorder. The PVC causes are numerous; they can be derived from cardiac problems, hormonal disorders (hyperthyroidism), energy drink, drugs, anxiety disorders etc. To exclude the possible causes of PVC I recommend: 1. Cardiac examination (including ECHO, Holter monitoring, stress test TMT). 2. Endocrinologist consultation (including thyroid hormone analysis) 3. Avoid consuming alcohol, energy drink, cocaine, spicy food ect. If all this thing are done (cardiac and hormonal are within normal range) and the symptoms still persist, than your arrhythmia most probably is related to anxiety disorder. Also the contrary is true arrhythmia can worsening the anxiety leading in a circus vicious. So I strongly suggest talking with your psychologist to cope with your anxiety disorder, in order to relief some of your concerns. Hope i respond to your query. p.s: If you have more concern don't hesitate to write me back. Dr. Benard Shehu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for premature ventricular contractions with indigestion? 16 hours later
Hello and thank you for you prompt response. Let me offer some additional information: I had a thyroid panel performed 2 months ago -- normal I gave up caffeine about 2 years ago. Decaf products only. I do drink socially, no more than twice a week and no more than 3-4 beverages. I did wear a holter monitor a couple years ago for 24 hours. PVC's appeared on the monitor but I was told they were benign. As I said I had the blood work, EKG and xray done at the hospital. The ER doctor said everything was okay. As I mentioned they are sometimes accompanied by indigestion. Would you suggest looking into medication for this which could alleviate PVCS. I have seen a counselor but it's hard to stop thinking about PVCs when they occur. It feels like my heart is struggling to beat even though I've been told differently. Thank you for you time, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestion below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sending in more of your medical data. It is great that the cardiac and hormonal test results were normal. Please bare in mind that PVC although sometimes frightening, it is not serious. You are saying that each time you have an indigestion, you have this feeling. If this is your case, I advise to avoid foods that can cause you indigestion: - avoid carbonated drinks - eat often and small portions - do not lay down immediately after eating - avoid alcohol, spicy, chillies, fatty or fried foods - start taking antiacids and probiotics At the end, the main culprit of causing the feeling of PVC is anxiety. So, try to cope with anxiety. If you cannot succeed alone, ask relatives or family or friends to help you. If no success, can ask for psychologist help. Wish you health! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor