What is the treatment for plugged ear?

Posted on Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my right ear has been plugged for about 2 weeks. what is the best way to get it clear?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Auricular lavage/irrigatio Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this plugged ear for more than 2weeks. I understand how annoying this is and the need to relief this impaction quickly to enable you feel better. Because I will nor encourage you to go manipulating the ear, Consulting with your doctor would be the best thing to do. he would either consider to remove it manually or use other procedures like lavage to address it. If the plug is initially too big ad difficult to be removed, the doctor would prescribe products like cerulyse to soften and ease removal. These would be the most effective and rapid ways to address this problem. Please, remember that is this should continue for long, you may develop an ear infection which further makes this difficult. Please, consider seeking a consultation as soon as possible. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more clarification or information if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 6252 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Ear infection

doctor1 MD

my son was diagnosed with rhabdomayosarcoma in his right testicle in dec 2008. we was 5yrs old. it was stage 1 and had the testicle removed no...

doctor1 MD

I have swollen nasal membranes, pain in the right ear, face pain, pain from the front to the back of my head on the right side and mouth pain. The...

doctor1 MD

My son was diagnosised withmono about three weeks ago. He had an ear infection also, and it was treated with cipro antibiotic. He now is feeling...

doctor1 MD

my16 yr old niece has had chronic ear infections, 2 sets of tubes, and for the past year or two, a skin like substance that grows on the eardrum...

doctor1 MD

I’ve been experiencing severe vaginal itching . Internal and external. Also, little white pieces of discharge in and out of my vagina. started...

doctor1 MD

I recently finished 10 days of antibiotics for a sinus/nasal cold/bug. I still have limited sense of smell and appetite and reduced hearing. I...

doctor1 MD

I have an ear infection ( otitis external) I was put on pain meds ibuprofen 800mg and an antibiotic, ciprofloxacin , but I cannot sleep is there...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction