Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for pink scar caused due to intradermal nevus?

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7388 Questions
Hi, I had a mole removed about 5 months ago that was diagnosed as intradermal nevus. It left a really thick pink scar that itches a lot. Yesterday I noticed that one area of the scar had grown what looked like a pimple and it had whitish material and blood in it when I basically popped it. I have put hydrogen peroxide on it and neosporin. Should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypertrophic/Keloid scar with Secondary Infection Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Hypertrophic/Keloidal scar with Secondary Bacterial Infection secondary to scratching/Itching. If i was your treating doctor i would have asked you to take an oral antibiotic(Penicillin group e.g Amoxycilin in combination with clavulanic acid) for a week for the Secondary Bacterial Infection. A topical antibacterial ointment would help in faster resolution of the infection (2% Mupirocin is available OTC) After the infection has resolved we can do something about the Hypertrophic/Keloidal Scar. Various Options available are: -Intralesional Steroids(Triamcinolone Acetonide) -Silicone gel sheet dressings. -Intralesional 5-FU injections. -CO2 Laser vaporisation followed by pressure dressings I prefer intra-lesional Steroids for Hypertrophic /Keloid scars. It gives good results in flatenning the raised scar, decreases erythema as well as itching. The injections are given once every three weeks and usually 2 - 3 injections are enough to achieve the desired result. I would advice that you see a dermatologist who would tell you more about these and the best one for you. I am here to help you with any clarifications take care regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor