What is the treatment for pain while swallowing,cold with fever and oral ulcer?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a smoker my age is 33 i had fever in last 1 week...now i have cold and have problem in swallowing.yesteday evening i saw a small lump like thin on the left side of tounge where the tounge starts.No black spots or anything.It is like the inner mouth colour.what medicines should i take.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: URTI and Oral ulcer Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Thanks for sharing your problems with us. The Pain in swallowing and cold with fever is usually due to Upper respiratory tract infection (URTI). And the lump you are feeling on your tongue might be an oral ulcer , which can be a result of some trauma by teeth on tongue , zinc or trace mineral or vitamin B deficiency , might be related to smoking. Recurrent ulcers can be due to autoimmune diseases. I advice you to quit smoking. I suggest you following medications for both Upper respiratory tract infection and oral ulcer : 1. Levocetrizine 5 mg once a day. 2. Tab Paracetamol twice daily. 3. If fever is prolonged , an antibiotic might be considered like Azithromycin once daily for 3 days. 4. Warm saline gargles 4-5 times a day. 5. Multivitamin containing zinc (like Zincovit) once a day for 10-15 days. You will recover from URTI in 3-5 days , and your ulcer should heal in 7 days , still if it doesn't heal , you would require a dental check up to rule out traumatic ulcer. You may discuss with your doctor regarding my opinion , i am sure he will agree and prescribe you the medications. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , you may ask me. Stay Healthy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 55 minutes later
I dont have fever from last one week just difficulty in swallowing and lump so should i take . Levocetrizine and Zincovit. Thanks for your advise.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: You don't need antibiotic then Detailed Answer: In that case , don't take antibiotic. You may take some combinations like LCZ Plus and Zincovit. Still , if your problem persists after 5 days . an examination would be required. And don't use any nicotine gums for smoking cessation , till your oral ulcer heals , as they may irritate the ulcer and prevent the healing. If you don't have any further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy