Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for pain in groin and pain behind the knee and hip?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Hello, I have pain in the groin on the right side. It's painful to sit on that side. I have pain in the right shin, behind the right knee, and in the right hip. I've had a vaginal ultrasound which ruled out problems with female organs. I've had pain in the groin off and on for years, but keeping active seemed to minimize this. Now I have been less active, and the pain seems worse. What do these symptoms indicate?
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get an MRI of right hip joint+lower backbone done Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. From the information provided, you are apparently suffering from either, 1. Osteoarthritis of the Right Hip joint with possible erosion and thinning of the joint's wall; 2. Degeneration of the head of the right thigh bone due to disruption of its blood supply. It might also be "pinching" (pressing upon) the nerves which supply the right lower limb; 3. Weakening and collapse of the lower back bone due to osteoporosis, causing pressure over the nerves of right lower limb; or, 4. Disc herniation in the lower back bone, leading to "pinching' of the nerves of right buttock and right lower limb. I would therefore recommend that you get an MRI of the hip joint and lower backbone done, which will reveal the exact cause. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order MRI scan and other required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for pain in groin and pain behind the knee and hip? 16 hours later
Dear Dr. Karanwal, Can you provide ideas of possible treatment for these conditions? If the MRI shows #1, for example, what would the treatment be? If it is #2, what would the treatment be, etc.? I suffered a herniated disc of the lower back in my twenties. Rest was the treatment followed by crunches. In a separate injury, I fell straight down on to my right hip in a roller skating fall during those years. Do these problems exacerbate the current pain problems? Would exercise on the treadmill help or further damage the bones/joints involved? Thank you so much, Cathy King
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Orthopedic/Neuro Surgeon's consult is 1st priority Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX The precise treatment would be best known to the orthopedic surgeon. However, for Condition No. 1, either a bony graft to reinforce the joint wall; or, hip replacement may be required, depending on MRI findings and the Surgeon's decision. For Condition No. 2, replacement of the head of thigh bone, with prosthetic head; or, hip joint replacement may be required. For No. 3 & 4, decompression by removing the culprit discs and offer support to the back bone with bone grafts or a metal plate. Disc herniation sustained in early years, is responsible for your pain in right lower limb. Any undue physical exertion can aggravate discs' herniation and even cause weakness in the leg. It would be preferable if you consult an orthopedic and neurosurgeon: let them evaluate the condition of bones and degree of nerves' compression. Depending on their final conclusion, they would be best judge to advise you appropriate exercises. till then, I will recommend AGAINST treadmill exercise. Instead, you should go for leisure walks. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for pain in groin and pain behind the knee and hip? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. Karanwal, Thank you for your discussion of my problems. I do appreciate it, and will consult my family doctor first, and then get the necessary referral to the Orthopedic Surgeon. My brother is a Physiatrist, and I'll probably discuss it with him as well. He's really against back surgery, so I'll have to see. Thanks again. Gratefully, Cathy King
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Have a nice day Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX My pleasure, ma'am. Warm regards, Dr. (Col) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor