Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for pain and swelling in body due to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
I am 68 years old and female. I have Hasimoto's Thyroiditis and was diagnosed in 2000 with rheumatoid arthritis. I have been treated for 12 years by a rheumatologist from San Francisco who retired last year. I can't find any new one who seems to how to treat me. I have seen two, one tripled my medication and caused Lupus symptoms that last 8 weeks. The second one says I don't have RA, I am just old with regular arthritis. Most in my area are very young or fading out of practice. I AM IN MUCH PAIN AND HAVE SWELLING IN MY HANDS AND THROUGHOUT MY BODY.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that rheumatoid arthritis remains a clinical diagnosis and physical examination is most important for making its diagnosis as demonstration of synovitis is done physically by pressing on joints , eliciting tenderness and warmth . Still you can get rheumatoid factor , ESR ,CRP done if these are positive then suspicion will be high . Anti CCP antibodies are the most specific test for us for RA. I will advise you to meet your rheumatologist and get your tests done . Only after establishment of diagnosis treatment can be advised or modified . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for pain and swelling in body due to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus? 21 hours later
I have had the tests done 4 times a year for 12 years and they are positive for RA. I am having a serious problem finding an experienced rheumatologist. The two I have seen are very young and do not seem to understand my circumstance. Given that treatment can only come through a specialist and I am working on finding one. Is there anything you can suggest that I do to relieve my pain? In the past I took methotectrate, but the last specialist I saw triple my dose and the result was I developed a drug induced Lupus, so I am afraid to restart that drug.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 hours later
Brief Answer: treatment options for you Detailed Answer: Dear Madam Thank you for reverting back. Well, Methotrexate remains the drug of choice but if you are intolerant, you should not take it. Leflunomide , hydroxychloroquine are other drugs which can be used. A short course of steroids will help you control the disease. But this decision has to be taken by your treating doctor. Take care. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor