Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for mole in the back of my eye?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1055 Questions
I had an eye test yesterday and was told there was a mole on the back of my eye.....apparently a blood vessel running over the top was very flat and the mole was of jagged appearance round the edge and had what appeared to be white calcification ......the optometrist suggested it may be a melanoma what do I do from here.....there is a long history of cancer in my family , I am 60 years old
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Diagnosis has to confirmed and managed accordingly Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Dark spots on the back of the eye are suggestive of intraocular melanoma. I were to first confirm the diagnosis and then think about the management depending on the stage of the tumor. This has to be confirmed by other tests like slit lamp, ultrasound examination, angiography and OCT (occular coherence tomography). I would like to know some more information to address your concerns better. Did you have any visual disturbance? What was the reason for getting the eye test? Could you tell what cancer did your family members suffer from? Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for mole in the back of my eye? 5 hours later
Family history cancer ranged from brain tumours to stomach and lung cancer. Reason for the eye test was deterioration in sight and black floaters.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please get a complete ophthalmic examination Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing me back Deterioration of vision, floaters and calcified mole in the back of the eye are pathological and intraocular melanoma has to be ruled out. Usually Melanoma does not cause any symptoms and suspected during the eye test.Depending on cell type, size and location it is treated by radiation or surgery.I would suggest to meet an Ophthalmologist for further management. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor