Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
Hello,I have an abdominal pain which been going on for quite a long time on my right lower abdomen, am so worried, i dont know what to do?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Few more information from you will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query. Before I answer, I would like to have the following information from you for a more detailed and nearing solution to your problem : 1) How is your dietary habits ? Do you eat out frequently, that too fried and fast food !! 2) Since how long are you on Microgynon 30 and is it mainly for the irregular periods ? 3) How are your bowel habits/movements ? Are they regular as your routine or are you constipated alternating with loose motions ? 4) Do you have any fever and vomiting ? 5) Do you have any urinary symptoms like increased frequency/burning urination !! 6) For approximately how long the pain is troubling you ? Has it remained constant till date or increased in its severity ? Is the pain spreading or radiating to any other quadrant of abdomen or back. 7) I hope you won't mind to speak to me about your marital status and if you are sexually active at present. 8) As the pain is for a long time as told by you, have you gone for any physician consultation or any investigations ? If so, please attach the reports of the same. It seems I have already asked a lot many questions to you instead of answering your query. However, these information as stated by me will assist me in helping you in a more logical way. Thanks for choosing the health care magic for your health query. Awaiting for your response. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain? 14 hours later
Hello Dr, Shareef, thanks for getting back to me. I will start by answering all your question. 1.I do eat a balanced diet though once in a month i eat fast foods. 2.I have been taking Microgynon for 5yrs for my irregular periods 3.My bowels habits are always regular 4. I dont have any fever or feel like vomiting before. 5. I have a frequency in urinating buts its not a burning sensation. 6.This pain started in 2005, I went for an abdominal ultra sound scan of which the results come out that the features were all normal. I also did another pelvic ultra sound in 2010. where they started the bladder, uterus, both ovaries are of normal sonographic apperarance, no mass or collection is seen in the adnexa, and there is no pelvic fluid. the scans on both right and left illiac fossa regions reveal no sonographic abnormality. 7. I do have a partner but before I got him I still experienced the same issues. So I was prescribed the microgynon by my GP 5yrs ago but now my worry again wont these pills affect me in the long because I love to stop them soon so as to have children. Thanks Doctor. Hope to hear from you soon.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You may have to go for more investigations. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! Good morning. Thanks for all the information I needed. There is only one issue in your history which I feel is significant, that is the increased frequency of urination, which could be due to a unsuspected UTI(Urinary tract infection) because of no history of fever or burning of urine. This could give rise to a pain of the nature you have described. You did not mention of any urine test in your history till now. If I were your doctor, I would go for a routine blood check up like CBC,ESR,Blood sugar, Blood Urea, Serum creatinine, and a urine routine/microscopic test followed by a urine culture/sensitivity test. Also I would suggest a vaginal/cervical swab for culture and sensitivity. A routine stool test for ova and cyst will be an essential part of the routine investigation in your case to exclude any intestinal worm/parasite infection. If any of the suspects as above come out to be positive, appropriate treatment should relieve your problem. If all of the above are normal, one can think of the possibility of your intestine's sensitivity to any component of your food like a gluten sensitivity, which you have to investigate yourself by excluding food containing gluten on consultation with a dietitian in your area. The symptoms are cured once you start selecting your food you eat without any gluten. Many times ultrasound abdomen is not able to detect minor inflammations of the intestines like a recurrently inflamed appendix of low grade intensity which is known as grumbling appendicitis. I would suggest to go for a CT/MRI scan of abdomen with special reference to the right iliac fossa followed by a consultation and physical examination by a general surgeon to rule out this possibility. Removing the appendix surprisingly cures long term chronic abdominal pain in this quadrant. But this has to be decided by your treating surgeon. A diagnostic laparoscopy followed by laparoscopic appendicectomy/otherwise would be more appropriate. Regarding the pills you take for the irregular periods, I think you can talk to your gynecologist to wean them off once you decide to have a baby. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Thanks and wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain? 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor, I will talk to my GP and I will let you Know the response. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks and Good luck. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! I too would like to know the opinion of your family physician. It was nice interacting with you. Thanks and good luck. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain? 2 days later
Hello Doctor, I spoke to my GP and she put in to book an appointment with the surgeon to do a lapascopy. Thank you Regards Grace
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for your feedback. Detailed Answer: Hi Good evening. Thank you very much for your feedback to my suggestions. Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor