Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for low sexual drive caused due to anxiety?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
First, I have general anxiety that I don't take daily medication for, as I only have the odd flare up and have recieved short term meds to get me though and then I am okay. These happen every few years. I was diagnosed with a vericocele last year. I work out frequently, have a good diet, and am happy overall. I started dating my girlfriend in the summer and we have had nothing short of great intimacy. A few weeks ago we fooled around after more drinking than I have been doing recently and I was unable to perform. I would consider this a traumatic experience. Ever since, I have been unable to perform (loss of erection before penetration) and have a lack of sex drive. My vericocele also hurts when my anxiety acts up. My girlfriend is not the stressor, she is nothing but supportive and understanding and I just want to get back to normal. I just feel stressed/have a mental block, and need to "get over this hump". It is really all I have been able to think about the last few weeks. I feel tired and like I have no testosterone at all. Any ideas to get me back on track? I have tried all my normal, non-medical anxiety reduction techniques.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its more like psychological. Detailed Answer: Hi, At your age in most patient such issues are due to psychological reasons rather than any medical condition.Your anxiety might playing a role in this. Varicocele is unlikely to have significant decisive role in this. Most patient improve with few sessions of counselling and only few need supportive medications to help maintain erection. Support and understanding nature of partner is most important factor. I suggest you to should consider a primary consultation with sex therapy doctor. The doctor would counsel you and help you regain the confidence. Hope this helps.Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor