Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for insomnia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4858 Questions
I am 53 yrs old . I canot sleep at night . waking XXXXXXX times . what can I do?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Strategies to better sleeping at night... Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry for not being able to sleep at night. I'd suggest as following: - avoid drinking coffee or other stimulant drinks (i.e. energetic,etc.) starting afternoon onward. Instead, take some chamomile tea at least 1 hour before going to bed. - if you work involves stress or overloading, I'd suggest to make some breaks while being at work. When you turn back home, can try some stress-relieving techniques including deep breathing. - avoid heavy meals at dinner. Instead, light meals can help you sleep better. - if your works involves sitting and no physical activity; please make a habit to walk after the working hours. - if you have been under lots of stress recently, apart stress-relieving techniques, I usually advise to start taking o.t.c anti-stress herbal tea/pills. - drink more water - try to eat often and small portions without exceeding in food. If no improvement, should consult neurologist to start taking prescription sleeping pills. At the end, could you please indicate your age and gender as it would help me assist you further! Thank you! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for insomnia? 1 hour later
my age 53 . male . the main factor is stress of divorce . sleeping alone
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Divorce-a stress factor to bad sleeping... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for sending in the requested data. I am sorry to get to know you have been divorced. Indeed, it is a stressful situation. However, you are the only one guiding yourself into the solution path. Your life is more precious than a non-functioning relationship. Have faith in God to get the strength you need to move forward and live your life as a gift. Work is also a good solution together with long walking/jogging in the fresh air together with the earlier advice. Good luck in the New Year! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for insomnia? 43 minutes later
what do you do when you have aboner while you are sleeping makes wake up at night . then you cannot sleep
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Having boner (erection) during sleep is normal... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. Having erections (boner) while being asleep is normal in men. I'd suggest to: - avoid smoking or drinking alcohol - eat healthy - although you are work-overloaded, you should find time to get some rest - apart working, walking and breathing fresh air can also help you. These steps would help your body relax, so your at-night erections won't be problematic neither painful. If the erections you are having while sleeping are painful and wake you up, then, this is not normal. You should be further evaluated by an urologist or XXXXXXX and to run some tests to specify what your real problem is. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor