Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for insomnia when suffering from high BP?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
I am having regular sleeplessness problems. This is leading to fatigue and general irritability in work and personal matters. I have a blod pressure related problem( 140/90) and take a medicine called Repalol.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Retrain your sleep cycle... Detailed Answer: Hi, Body follows a certain circadian rhythm. This rhythm allows a person to go to bed/sleep and wake up at particular period of time. I suggest my patients to retrain the body to follow this circadian rhythm and get over sleep problems instead of using medications or supportive drugs. Some tips that will allow your body to retrain are: 1. Make a habit to hit the bed at a fixed period of time. Off course, it is important that you have a light dinner a couple of hours before sleep (if you are at home for dinner). 2. Make sure your sleeping environment is comfortable. Adjusting light and sound as per your preference would help. Most individuals prefer dim or no light and no sound. 3. Avoid late night works. Do not take your laptop to work. 4. Choose the right mattress which is comfortable to you. Most people prefer firm mattress. Avoid too many pillows. 5. Choose the right temperature. Avoid too hot or too cold. A warm temperature is preferred. Besides these measures a high proteins diet is preferable at night. I recommend my patients to use whole grain wheat, soya, egg, meat and milk at night time. Some of the aminoacids in these proteins have sleep inducing properties. If these remedies don't helps, the next step is a visit to a psychiatrist. Supplements such as melatonin or low dose sedatives can be used to start the circadian rhythm. These supplements and drugs are better taken under strict doctor governance. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor