What is the treatment for hepatitis B?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi doctor,

I need your help in knowing about hepatitis B type. My cousin is affected with this problem. She didn't take any treatment. Could you please
explain how and where to start the treatment and also what all the criticalities behind
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Monitor the blood testing

Detailed Answer:

Series of blood tests should be done to diagnose the condition. Her treatment is based on those test results. Following tests are done to look for liver damage if your cousin is having hepatitis B.

1.HBV Viral load

2.Liver function test

3.Albumin level

4. Prothrombin time

Acute hepatitis needs no treatment other than careful monitoring of liver and other body functions with blood tests.

She should take adequate rest, drink plenty of fluids and eat healthy foods. If there is abnormality in blood investigations she should be taken to the gastroenterologist to prevent chronic Hepatitis B state.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 47 minutes later
Thank you so much for the immediate response. I have one more doubt. Will this infection cause her to death?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
It is my pleasure to answer your query,

If we can prevent the infection from going to chronic state, she can lead normal life without any complication.

Thank you.

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist