Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for hallucination?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6171 Questions
can you tell me how to treat hallucinations of my 92 year old mother
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, get her consulted. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the hallucinations that your mother has. Hallucination is a very vague term and often need a follow up description of the exact symptoms to make sure we get it right. However, any recent change in the mental status, coherence, orientation, believes etc warrants a medical visit to identify what the possible cause is. The most common cause of acute changes inn mental status(delirium) is a urinary tract infection or another infection. This can only be clearly investigated and addressed after a detailed interrogation and testing. If this has been going on for long, it may actually represent a form of dementia given her age. However, we can only suspect these but not confirm any as we need ore information fro question, examination and testing to make the final diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Considering the above information, I will suggest that you get your mother to be consulted. Start with a primary care physician who would evaluate and make the necessary referrals if need be. If she is combative, please help restrain and put an eye on her so that she may not hurt herself. If the believes are clearly instructions that constitute danger to herself or others, please be even more attentive and careful But for sure the specifics are needed before measures can be proposed. I hope you find this information helpful and guiding on how to address this problem. Thank you for using our services and please feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. I wish her well. Dr.Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor