• question-icon

What is the treatment for dry blisters while suffering from chicken pox?

Posted on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She had her gall bladder removed and Thyroid problem. She now got a chicken pox. It is so severe. It spreads from the family member. She had chicken pox at her childhood. But she again got it. It is ten days now. First 6 days the symptoms were there (fever, vomiting sensation, so week). Now she is okay other than that she can not sleep on nights and frequent urination at nights. But I am worried as blisters are too much and 50% only dried. I am afraid will it affect any organs (particularly internal).
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Internal organ involvement is less common. Detailed Answer: Hello, Chickenpox is normally a mild disease. Sometimes it can be serious and can lead to complications, especially in high-risk people with low immunity. Complications which can be seen are bacterial infections of the skin/ soft tissues, lung pneumonia, infection spreading to brain, toxic shock or Reye's syndrome for people who take aspirin during chickenpox. Look for symptoms like pus formation in skin lesion, disorientation, headache, high elevated fever, cough, difficulty in breathing, neck stiffness, low pulse or blood pressure. Keep watch on the symptoms and if possible getting evaluation by doctor at intervals is way to keep watch on involvement of internal organs. At the moment sleeplessness is little worrisome.It can be because of routine chicken pox.But do mention it to her doctor.Otherwise she seems on recovery mode as 50% lesions have dried up. Hope this answers your questions.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Now she has a symptom of undried lesion only in your list. Is there any symptoms to identify involuement of internal organs. How long we need to check for internal organs. Please advice food and things to do for her fast recovery.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like its still local infection Detailed Answer: The symptoms I have listed in previous answer are the symptoms to look for involvement of internal organs.So keep watch on them. Check every 3-4 days for internal organ involvement till skin lesions are raw.After that one more week monitoring would be good enough. Nothing special about diet actually.A balanced non-spicy diet including more proteins , fruits , rice and vegetables should be fine. Give her lots of water and liquid diet as well, particularly to avoid dehydration as she is having frequent micturation/urination. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Thanks doctor. What will be the complication if pus in lesion? How long it will take to dry the lesions normally.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
Brief Answer: pus will cause local bacterial infection Detailed Answer: Pus is indicator of secondary bacterial infection. Rarely such infection can spread to blood leading to septicemia. It should take 7 to 10 days for lesions to dry up significantly. Regards.
Dr. Sudhir