Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for crotch rot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I have what I believe is crotch rot. what is the best way to treat it
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antifungals should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
Crotch rot or tinea cruris occurs due to trapped sweat/ moisture and warm environment that helps fungus thrive.
Another possibility could be intertrigo which could be fungal or frictional.

Tinea is characterised by well defined scaly lesions while intertrigo is macerated red wet lesion.

Treatment required-
wear loose cotton clothes. change your underclothes twice in a day
Avoid wearing tight fitting rough clothes like denims
After bathing dust the area with antifungal clotrimazole or fluconazole or terbinafine based powder
Apply plain antifungal like clotrimazole if its tinea and steroid antifungal cream if its intertrigo.
Take oral antihistamine like cetirizine if its itchy.

If the lesions do not respond in a week's time, XXXXXXX a doctor nearby to start a course of oral antifungal for complete resolution.

If possible please upload an image as it would help in confirming the diagnosis.

Hope that helped
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor