Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for crawling sensation in rectum and hemorrhoids?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 11756 Questions
Last week, I began to have a crawling sensation in my rectum. It happened the first time at night, though I get the same sensation during the day. I had pin worms a couple of times as a child and I've also had hemorrhoids. I've noticed the crawling sensation with both. I looked with a mirror and flashlight at night and saw no worms. On further inspection, and when I bear down just a little, I can see what I think is a slightly enlarged vein near the back of my rectum (closest to my tailbone). Comparing that with online pictures of hemorrhoids, it doesn't look nearly as bad as most of the hemorrhoid pictures I've seen. (Perhaps why the symptoms are not terrible, just kind of annoying.) So, I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I've passed some stringy pieces of what I think is mucus. (I compared them to pictures of pin worms and they really don't look like that.) Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to hemorrhoids. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. A hemorrhoid is basically a small swollen blood vessel in the area of the anus. The swollen vessel that you have seen is likely to be a hemorrhoid. It can cause a crawling sensation in the anus. Passing a mild amount of mucus with stool is a normal finding. Sometimes you cannot see pinworms with a naked eye. It is best to get your stool examined for any parasites or cysts. Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now. First, twice daily I'd like you to sit in a warm batch in the bathtub for 20 minutes. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue. Next, you can go to any local pharmacy and pick up a tube of preparation H cooling gel. This is a clear gel which you can apply to the swollen areas after each bowel movement and also at bedtime. Over time this helps also to shrink the hemorroidal tissue. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for crawling sensation in rectum and hemorrhoids? 26 minutes later
Thank you! I just had one more question. Like I said before, the swollen vessel doesn't look as bad as the hemorrhoid pictures I've seen, so that's what made me doubt. And I can't actually see it unless I bear down a bit. Does that seem more like an internal hemorrhoid? I thought that internal hemorrhoids didn't have symptoms besides blood in the stool or pain when they protrude into the anus.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: These are external hemorrhoids. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The hemorrhoids that you can see are the external ones. The internal hemorrhoids are not usually visible even on bearing down. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor