What is the treatment for blocked salivary glands?

Dr. Qazi Ammara

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Question: My steson duct seems to be blocked. My dentist sent me to the oral surgeon. The surgeon thought it may be a stone, but said the growth/bulb was too soft. He took xrays and didn't find a stone, but found many calcified minor salivary glands 1-2 millimeters in diameter. He says he has never seen anything like this before. He said that blockages usually work themselves out. But this has been there a year. In the morning, my lower neck glands on the right and left of my throat swell, are slightly itchy and sometimes an unusual taste enters my mouth. My dentist seemed to think the blocked saliva gland was. Now oral surgeon says I need biopsy? Because my face on the left side has numbness and tingling at times he referred me to a neurologist and because of the duct issue he says I need to see ent head/neck person. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later
Brief Answer: salivary gland blockage,medical conditions. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum, The above conditions which you have mentioned like swelling in the neck glands,unusual taste in mouth,numbness & tingling in the mouth could be due to various reasons few are; -prolonged use of certain medications. -chemotherapy and radiation therapy. -medical conditions like bells palsy, parkinsons disease,GERD etc. -poor oral hygiene. -ageing. -injuries to mouth, neck, nose. -fungal infections in mouth, neck areas. -salivary gland blockages and benign growths. A thorough clinical examination and evaluation is required by an Oral Surgeon, OPG radiograph and a biopsy is required to confirm the cause and to plan an appropriate treatment. I would encourage you to get the checkup soon and also the biopsy. Hope you find this as informative and helpful, Regards, Dr Qazi Ammara.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T