Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for PCOD and what are the findings from the semen analysis?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
Hai sir im 28 years old, my wife is 27 years old. we are newly married couple (married before 7 months) trying for pregnancy, she has pcod problem and for a 10 days gap semen analysis for me the actively motile sperm count is 8%, slug. motile is 16% in 2cc of semen. Give us a solution for getting pregnant.....
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: OUTLINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us wtih your health concern. There are two problems in your case. First is PCOD - PolyCystic Ovarian Disease. In this condition, there is basic hormonal imbalance - the ovary is studded with multiple small follicles which resemble cysts. None of these small cysts form mature egg - thus ovulation is problematic, and cycles are often irregular. The second problem is your semen analysis. The sperm count and motility both are quite low. Firstly, for a semen analysis report, the duration of abstinence should not be 10 days. Please repeat the semen analysis after 3 days of abstinence. IF the report is still abnormal, please consult an XXXXXXX / Urologist. There could be many reasons for the abnormal semen report - stress, tensions, late nights, smoking, drinking, tobacco, drugs, fever, illness, exposure to metals and chemicals, hot tubs and saunas, tight underwear and trousers etc. Chromosomal anomalies, infections, blockages of the ducts carrying the sperms, hormonal deficiencies all can cause such an issue. You would need a complete physical examination, hormonal tests, scrotal ultrasound etc to establish a diagnosis, and treatment would then proceed accordingly. While you consult an XXXXXXX also consult an Infertility specialist for your wife. Have the following tests done - Complete blood count, viral markers, FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT , Lipid profile, DHEAS, free testosterone, fasting serum insulin. Go for one cycle of follicular monitoring , and if ovulation is defective, she would need to take drugs like Clomiphene citrate to induce ovulation. Other drugs like Metformin help to control PCOD, and weight loss will also help. IF 3 - 6 cycles of Clomiphene fail ( combine these stimulation cycles with IUI - intra uterine insemination as your count is low ) , then go for a laparoscopy to assess if fallopian tubes are open. If the tubes are closed, or your count remains persistently low, or if 6 cycles of stimulation fail, then consider IVF ( in vitro fertilization ). Take regular folic acid tablets and exercise regularly. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for PCOD and what are the findings from the semen analysis? 10 minutes later
Mam please give suggestions to avoid Pcod & to increase the sperm counting and its action
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: For PCOD - 1. Weight loss, daily exercise and lifestyle management 2. The investigations which I described, and then treatment in the form of Metformin and Clomiphene for fertility. For semen count - 1. Avoid smoking , drinking, tobacco, stress. 2. Get a repeat semen analysis after 3 days of abstinence. 3. Consult a Urologist and ascertain cause of abnormal semen testing. 4. Proceed with the treatment accordingly.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for PCOD and what are the findings from the semen analysis? 8 hours later
Mam I don't have the above said bad habits at all, any way we try to do mam. Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Okay,wish you all the best. Just consult an expert XXXXXXX and Infertility specialist in your city so that you can both proceed accordingly with your workup. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor