Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for Grave's disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1660 Questions
Hi, we,I and my daughter, newcomers in USA and I'm looking for an endocrinologist for my daughter because we just had an experience with one which told us she should take nuclear medicine and to be always on some medicine all life. her results TSH 0.0031, t-4 1.51,t-3 5,9. My familiar doctors in S.-Peterburg, in Moscow said it is in her case. They use less XXXXXXX , more soft influenced medication. My intuition said they are right. Can you give advice about a doctor with another attitude and methods of work?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid Detailed Answer: There are essentially only 3 options to treat Graves disease: 1 Medication : called Methimazole. The alternative is called Propylthiouracil but it is not recommended except in first trimester of pregnancy 2 Radiation: it zaps the thyroid and most likely it becomes under active for life, requiring another medication called XXXXXXX thyroxine to be taken for life. 3 Surgery to remove the thyroid gland. This is done infrequently now as the first two options are fairly effective. You are free to see another endocrinologist but you will be offered the same 3 choices
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor