Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for Chronic Prostatitis with infection of the foreskin?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9634 Questions
Dear Doctor! I am 26 years old male. I had prostatitis 2 years ago which was treated well. In the last year I got an infection from a women. It was treated also, but 2 months later I got the same infection again. In that time the same treatment and medication didn't help. I moved to the US almost a year ago and still have the same problem on my penis. 3 months ago I visited a doctor for a check up with my prostatitis and ask him about the infection on my penis. He took a culture test and the result said there is heavy growth escherichia coli. Since that I moved to an other state so this problem was not treated. I looked for an other doctor here 4 days ago and showed to him my culture test result. He gave me lamisil cream and I used it for 2 days, but my condition was getting worse and worse so I stopped using it. Today I went back for a control visit, but he says the cream solved the problem, but I feel it is still the same than before and with the cream it is getting worse. I used a lot of kind of cream already, but non of them helped. My skin on my penis is kind of read and burns. It is very uncomfortable sometimes and I am afraid of having sex with my girlfriend without using a condom and also I am afraid of this thing will affect our sexual life. Pleas help me with some advice what to do or take? Thank You
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You need Antibotics for Prostatitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Chronic Prostatitis with infection of the foreskin ( Posthatitis). I shall be happy if you can post me few more details ,culture report and photograph of your penis so as to help me making comments and suggestions on your problem. 1) Are you Diabetic? 2) Are you able to retract foreskin completely ? 3) Is there any itching over foreskin and glans penis? Looking at your previous culture report you need to take antibiotics effective against E-Coli. Take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily along with topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin . Ensure to clean your genitals with warm water twice daily. Avoid unprotected sex till it gets cured completely . Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for Chronic Prostatitis with infection of the foreskin? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank You for the quick respond! Please find attached the picture about my penis. The answers for your questions: 1. I am not diabetic. 2. My foreskin retract completely. 3. I have itching on my foreskin, but on my glans penis is more sensitive which is not helping me in my sex life. And also after sex I have burning feeling on it. My last urologist gave me Levofloxacin 500mg for my prostatitis, but he didn't do any culture test. After a prostate massage he checked my prostate liquid under the microscope and said he cannot say it is prostatitis. I am not sure, but he said a number which means how big is the infection in my case is between 5 and 10. He said it would be perfect under 5, but it is still not bad. He also said my prostate a little bit bigger than it should be in my age, but not XXXXXXX Is it normal or can I use medication for that. Can it be the same size again how it was before? Do you think I should go to a dermatologist to show my penis and do an other culture test by them? And also what is your advice? Can the E. Coli infection be treated completely? If yes what do you think how long does it take? To be honest I am really worried about my prostatitis. I am 26 years old and like to live and have sex with my girlfriend. Can I live with this issue without any problem? I would like to have kids and live a happy life with my family. If I take care of it can I feel myself like before? Because the mental part of it my erection is not the same. Also sometimes I have dull pain in my left ball. I told it to the doctor he checked is and said there is nothing wrong with it. It is also sensitive on the top of the ball. I think it is called epididymis. They checked my urine also on this week 2 times. There is no infection and blood in my urine. They said it is clean. Sorry for the so many question, but I want to be healthy again and get over the whole thing. Thank You for your time and answer.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer: It is infection of glans penis (Ballanitis) Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for feedback and sending photographs. It seems that your Dr has not done culture and sensitivity of fluid after doing prostate massage in a pathological laboratory. , Culture and sensitivity is very sensitive and informative test which gives information about organisms causing infection and antibiotics to which these organisms are sensitive to so that infection can be controlled by taking appropriate antibiotic. Please get it done now with the help of Urologist. As regards about your glans and foreskin it is due to infection and is a part of the same infective process involving testicle ,glans and foreskin. You need to take antibiotic for a long period of 4-6 weeks to get it cured completely. Please start taking Cefotaxime twice daily and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Please do not worry his can be controlled with antibiotics. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the treatment for Chronic Prostatitis with infection of the foreskin? 32 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for your advices! I went to the doctor and told him about the cefotaxime, but he said he doesn't know any cefotaxime for oral usage only in injection. Can you help me exactly which medication you thought of? What is the name of it? He told me there is no reason why he should do a culture test. So I think I have to find an other doctor. He said there is nothing wrong with my penis. I showed to him the same picture what I sent to you, but he said there is nothing serious. I had sex with my girlfriend yesterday and after that my penis was itching and red spots showed up on it. They did culture test from my penis about 3 months ago and that culture test showed the exact bacteria and its sensitivity. Since that this issue was not treated, so now my doctor gave me amixicillin 500mg for that issue as per culture report. He said my symptoms from my penis should be gone in few days, but take the medication for 10 days. I want to do a culture test from the prostate liquid too asap as you told me, but until that I want to take the cefotaxime. Can you find me the exact medication? In that way I can tell it to my doctor and he can give me a prescription for that. Thank You for your answer and have a Happy Holiday! Regards, XXXXXXX Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I have a correction. The bacteria which was find on my penis is called Enterococcus. So they found heavy growth Enterococcus on my penis and my doctor gave me the amoxicillin 500 for that because according to the test the bacteria was sensitive of that antibiotic. Before that I write to you they found E-Coli, but I was wrong. Yesterday I checked my culture test at my doctor and it was heavy growth Enterococcus. There is no E-Coli. Thank You! Regards, XXXXXXX Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I have one more question. The culture test says this bacteria is sensitive of ampicillin. The doctor gave a prescription for ampicillin 500mg, but in the pharmacy they gave me amoxicillin 500 mg. Do they have the same effect? Will the amoxicillin work against this bacteria, if according to the culture test it was sensitive of ampicillin? Thank you for your time and answer! Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Take antibiotics as per culture report. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. If sensitivity report shows bacteria to be sensitive to Ampicilin and Amoxycilin ,you can take either of the two. Please post me culture report so that I can guide you accordingly. For the time being you may not do culture report of prostate massage Let us observe the improvement in your symptoms after taking this antibiotics for 10 days. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor