What is the threshold limit of Gamma GT for chemotherapy injection?

Posted on Tue, 13 May 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My husband is now in taking Chemotherapy injection because of Gastric Cancer, please advise what is the threshold limit of Gamma GT for injection to be carried out smoothly as his recent report show that the Gamma GT level is 161, is it abnormally high ?
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal range Detailed Answer: Please do look at the normal reference range for the test in the laboratory that the test was done. That gives an idea of how high above normal it is. Also please note if this is in addition to AST/ALT levels and if they are high as well. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Nitin Rao 16 hours later
His AST and ALT is 96 and 68 repectively where normal reference range for AST/ALT/Gamma GT are <40 /<41/10-71 . Is he still under threshold limit for him to go on for Chemotherapy, what is the highest acceptable value over which chemotherapy cannot be proceed further more. Pls also advise how to control the level during these treatment period. FYI , the he is now taking Oxaliplatin injection and Oral Xeloda for Chemotherapy .
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Oncologist opinion Detailed Answer: Your oncologist is the best person to tell you if it is suitable to continue with chemotherapy, however to myself they do not appear to be too high to discontinue chemotherapy. Oncologists will discontinue chemotherapy with higher bilirubin. Please take lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and continue to have a healthy diet. Also avoid alcohol during this period as well.
Follow up: Dr. Nitin Rao 39 minutes later
Thanks for your advise , btw just want to know is the treatment for him is common for gastric cancer patient . He did take surgery on his stomach (reduced size by 80% ) and then he was advised to take oral xeloda together with radiotherapy for 1 month , afterwards , he has to take chemotherapy for 4 cycle only , ie OX injection accompanied with oral xeloda for 2 weeks , then take rest for two weeks before carried on next cycle . Just wonder is 4 cycle of this is normal procedure ?
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 23 hours later
Brief Answer: treatment not based on numbers Detailed Answer: As I have made myself clear he seems suitable for chemotherapy. Please remember the treating physician is the best person to judge the course of treatment as treatment is not just based on numbers but on assessment of the actual patient on site. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Nitin Rao 14 hours later
His bilirubin-direct is 5 , which is towards the top end of the normal range ( <= 5) and Platelet count is 81 (ref range is 140-440), any advise how to improve these index to prepare for next month's chemo injection. pls advise how to improve the Platelet count by daily diet.
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 4 days later
Brief Answer: A healthy diet Detailed Answer: Please take in lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Platelets will improve on their own and no particular diet increases it. have pomogrenate juice if your physician has no objections to it. Take care
Dr. Nitin Rao

Gastroenterologist, Surgical