What is the survival rate of lung cancer?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lung Cancer
Question: My wife has a lesion in her upper lobe of her right lung. We have had a PET to determine if there are any other concerns. There are not. We were scheduled to have surgery on the 30th of Sept. She got a call for the surgeon and was told he does not accept her insurance. The lesion was found 2 months ago. How aggressive is lung cancer. Another doctor here told me that if the cancer had not spread the she could except 10 to 15 years of good health. I am very concerned that the cancer will spread before we can get the necessary surgery.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes if its a cancer one has to start treatment ASAP

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health Care Magic.

Thanks for writing.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad. I have read your question completely, i understand your concern and will try to help you in best way possible.

The prognosis and survival chances depend upon the type of cancer present and the stage of cancer, your doctor was right in that if the cancer is of dangerous type and it has soread then survival is difficult but if the cancer is of less malignant kind and it hasen't spread around then there are indeed chances to live 10-15 good years.

I would suggest you to keep discuss this with you doctor and discuss about the type of cancer and what are survival chances..if PET didnt show anything out of the ordinary..this is a good news,but still if there is cancer and it is spreading you have to start the treatment wether surgery or chemo immediately according to your doctor's suggestion.

Don't panic everything should be fine I hope treatment gets responded better than expected.

I hope this answered your question, a
if you have more please feel free to ask.

Regrads.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S(Licensed Family Physician)

Resident M.D.