Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What is the surgery called that moves the bile duct?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
what is the surgery called that moves the bile duct down the gi tract so bile wont back up into the stomach?
Does the surgery work, and where can it be done.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 4 hours later

I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon. It would have been helpful if you could have given us some information on the nature of problem the patient has got to plan this kind of surgery.

This surgery is usually done
a) when there is a damage to portions of the biliary tract or
b) if there is some obstruction in the duct causing back flow of the bile to liver.
c) Also it is done in cases of obstruction distal to the opening of the common bile duct into the duodenum due to any growth either in the duodenum or in the structure in the vicinity of duodenum, like some growth in the head of pancreas.

I am not aware of the cause for which you have asked this question. Whatever may be the reason following types of bypass operations may be performed :
1) Choledocho doudenostomy : Anastomosis (connecting) common bile duct with the duodenum
2) Choledocho jejunostomy : Anastomosis of common bile duct with the jejunum
3) Hepatico jejunostomy : Anastomosis of hepatic duct with the jejunum.

Success rate of these operations depend on the purpose for which it is done. If it planned for some kind of injury to the biliary tract or any benign condition, the prognosis is usually good depending on the expertise of the surgeon. If it is done for a palliative purpose for some malignant growth, then the result is good for palliative purpose only, and not a long lasting solution.

This kind of operation is usually available in higher centers catering superspeciality services like gastro-intestinal and biliary surgeries.

I hope now you have a fare basic idea of the surgery you enquired about. If there is any other query, I will be glad to answer.

Take care. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the surgery called that moves the bile duct? 21 hours later
I have bile backing up into my stomach. I had my gallbladder taken out 6weeks ago. The Bile is causing me to have alot of nausea. I am trying to solve the problem so I don't have to take medications all my life.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 4 hours later

Thanks for the valuable information.

Did you have such regurgitation earlier also before the surgery ? The problem what you have now could be a temporary phenomena post operative and most likely is due to the regurgitation of bile from the duodenum and stomach.
I personally will not recommend an invasive surgery for this kind of problem. You may consult your treating doctor, who may prescribe you some proton pump inhibitor, and a prokinetic drug along with some dietary modifications (avoidance of spicy and fried food). These should be good enough to solve this.

However, if this persists for a longer duration, then you may have to take an opinion from a gastro-enterologist. He/she may advise you for an upper gastro intestinal endoscopy to exclude other conditions for your regurgitation of bile.

I am hopeful that this information will help you to further sort this problem out.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the surgery called that moves the bile duct? 11 hours later
I had a upper endoscopy and the Dr said that there was copius amounts of bile in my stomach, She also said that there was more than a normal amount of bile in the small intestine. What is a good medicine to get the Bile out of my stomach and to keep it from coming back into my stomach.
Is it normal to have bile back up into a persons stomach after gallbladder surgery. It makes me very sick to my stomach and very difficult to eat.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 55 minutes later

Thank you for the information on these important investigations done by your gastro enterologist. It does happen in some cases after gall bladder removal, and in some it is a self limiting problem. The cause could be that the sphincters in the duodenum and esophagus are somewhat malfunctioning. Even then I am reluctant to advise you for any invasive procedure now, as 6 weeks is too short a period to infer on its prognosis.

Let us try first some conservative means. You can keep your head end of the bed raised so that gravity helps in draining the bile one way down the intestines. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Continue with the prokinetic drug and the proton pump inhibitor with the already mentioned dietary restrictions. You can also take an anti anxiety drug in the night time before you go to bed. Do regular exercises and keep yourself active. I hope in due course you will get relief of the symptoms up to a great extent.
A modified kind of sometimes advised called a Roux-en Y anastomosis as a last resort if you are not getting relief by the above measures. This can be done only in specialised centres, and is not without its own problems.

Hope our conservative means help you out, and solve your problem.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor