Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What is the suggested medication for mycobacterium tuberculosis in endometrial tissue?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
hi..detected mycobacterium tb in endometrial tb detected in blood samples and no signs of swelling after mantoux test....i am unable to conceive TB the reason for not able to be pregnant and what medications do i need to take?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: AKT FOLLOWED BY LAPAROSCOPY SHOULD BE DONE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. If endometrial biopsy is positive for mycobacterium Tuberculosis, then yes, you are indeed suffering from genital tuberculosis. That could be one reason for inability to conceive. Tuberculosis can affect the lining of the uterus, damaging it, or can cause adhesions that lead to blockage of the fallopian tubes. You should go for AKT ( anti Kochs treatment also called ATT - antitubercular treatment ) . THis is generally prescribed for 6 months duration. After the first two months ( active phase of treatment ) you can start planning for a baby. After the course is completed, you can go for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy which will show whether the uterus, tubes and ovaries are normal or not. Also, your husband's semen analysis should be done Simultaneously - your hormonal tests should be done, if your cycles are not regular. These include - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, Pelvic ultrasound scan and follicular monitoring to track ovulation. Take daily folic acid supplements and maintain an ideal weight. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the suggested medication for mycobacterium tuberculosis in endometrial tissue? 17 minutes later
my husband had semen analysis too and his test for TB is negative. is it safe to be sexually active with my husband? my periods are regular. my blood reports have higlighted presence of PDF present. do i have chance of getting pregnant ? and what procedure do i need to follow?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Yes, it is safe to be sexually active with your husband. You cannot acquire tuberculosis by sexual intercourse. As I said, first start antitubercular treatment. After 2 months of completion of active phase of treatment, you can plan a pregnancy. If you fail to conceive after 3 months of trying, a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy will be needed to answer the question - whether there is any damage to the uterus or tubes. Yes, you definitely have chances of getting pregnant if there is no permanent damage. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor