Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What is the suggested medication for arthritic pain in foot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hi I have bone on bone chronic arthritic pain in my right foot at my ankle joint and throughout the foot. I am trying to ascertain what is the best medication to give me some relief. The foot is also fused with three pins and only has up and down movement now at the ankle (tibia) joint. I am currently on 25mg Durogesic 3 day patches and 300mg per day Lyrica which seem to do very little. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY I am also interested in knowing more about Ankle Replacements anything at all to relieve my pain
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: X ray and MRI and clinical examination is require Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history there can be arthritic pain in ankle joint or subtalar joint [which is fused by 3 pins] By doing X ray and MRI and clinical examination you need to rule out pain is occurring in ankle joint or fused subtalar joint. Till time you can use supportive splint or brace. You can take tab tramadol for pain relief, and chondritin sulphate will help in arthritic pain relief. Ankle joint replacement is good option if pain is arising from ankle joint. Due to fusion of subtalar joint there may be some difficulty in operative procedure but it can be done. Joint replacement will give pain free ankle movement. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor