What is the success rate of bi-polar 2 patients with proper medications?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: What is the success rate of bi-polar 2 patients who are compliant with medications and are of high intelligence?
When fully responsive to medication treatment, are bi-polar patients as competent as any other individual to work and parent?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In remission, patient is equal to other individual

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Bipolar II Disorder has a chronic relapse and episodic nature. Patients who have successful course of treatment and have good compliance on medications, remain asymtomatic for years, but still around 60% of patients get relapsed into another episode within 4 years of treatment. Relapse in bipolar disorder does not only depend upon compliance, but also on other factors like family issue, genetic factor, psychological factor, financial status, any underline physical compliant, hormonal dysfunction in female etc. Number of patients get relapsed on treatment. Such kind of episode is called break through episode. It could happen with any patient at any time.

If patient are fully complaince and responsive to treatment, then there are equally competent as other individual. Rest, depend upon patient cognitive function and duration of treatment. If patient has shorter duration of illness, then he or she has good cognitive function and could sustain normal life like other people.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist