Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the size of the penis during an erection?

Hi, I want to know by what proportion would it be normal for a penis to increase from flacid to turgid and by what proportion would it be normal for the nipples and areole on my partner to increase when sexually aroused? Also what proportion (eg. up to double etc) would the outside of the vagina enlarge?I understand that my question will be answered via email. I am keen to get the answer asap. Thanks. xxxxxxxx
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Here is some information that may help:

A 2015 King's College London review of research found that the average size of a penis was:

3.6 inches (9.16 cm) when limp
5.2 inches (13.24 cm) when pulled down and stretched
5.16 inches (13.12 cm) when erect

I cannot find any information on the percentage increase that is typical for the nipples and areole to increase during sex.

Regarding the vaginal lengthening (which is on the inside only), it is the upper two thirds that elongates and the uterus and cervix move upward. It does not appear that we have good statistics on how much it lengthens. The average non-aroused vagina can range from 3-7 inches.

I hope this helps you in your search for this information.

Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
The size change can vary from one individual to the next. As long as your partner is not in pain and the swelling is not due to trauma or bruising, there shouldn't be anything wrong here.
Follow-up: What is the size of the penis during an erection? 1 hour later
Do you think it may be possible for the female nipples and areole to increase twice their normal size without this being something unusual to worry about? I meant how much the inner and outer labia would swell when aroused during sex not the vagina. Thanks for your further assistance. Stephen