What is the side effects of changing from Carvedilol to Nifedipine?

ENT Specialist
Question
Back in early March, my doctor changed my medication from Carvedilol to Nifedipine due to Raynaud's Syndrome. Since the end of March my right ear has had congestion, ringing, sinus issues on right side and voice change, like I was coming down with a cold but I am not sick. It lasted 2 weeks the first time. These are rare side effects that I have found on some websites. I mentioned this to her on XXXXXXX 13 but feel it was ignored. It may have been notated in my records but I was never checked or asked anything about these problems. I would like for these problems to cease. I called her a few weeks ago and was told to stop the medication if I was having side effects and make a follow up appt. I stop for about 4 days and noticed the Raynaud's acting up again. I started back on it at a pharmacist advice. I have tried antihistimine and decongestant, did not work. Should medication be changed to another calcium blocker for Raynaud's? I have tried peroxide, baby oil, everything I could from online to open ear back up. It may stay blocked for a few days, 2-3 weeks, then open up for some time and then block again. It has been blocked for a month now. I am also planning to change doctors mainly for lack of communication. What else can you tell me? Thank you in advance!
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
eustachian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

From your symptoms it looks like you have eustachian tube dysfunction.
The eustachian tube connects the back of the ear to the nose. This tube mainatins middle ear pressure. Blockage of this tube can occur due to infections or allergies in the nose. Rarely a tumour arising from the back of the nose can obstruct the opening of the tube. Blockage of this tube can produce ringing, hearing loss and pain. If the blockage persists for a long time it can result in infection.

You have to see an ENT specialist to confirm the diagnosis. Also allergies in the nose has to be ruled out. Since you have been having symptoms for 4 months I would recommend that you get a nasal endoscopy done. It is the only way to see the nasal opening of the tube and also helps to rule out mechanical obstruction of the tube with tumours.

Till that time you can use decongestant nose drops like otrivin. These drop improve patency of the tube and improve ventilation of the ear. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day and follow it up with steam inhalation. Blowing balloons and chewing gum also helps to open the tube.

Your symptoms are not related to nifedipine.

Regards ,Dr Rajkishori Godhi