What is the side effect of Betacap tr and betahistine?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dear doctor . . I am 30 years old guy . . I want to know the side effects of the following medicines 1. Betacap tr 40 mg (I was prescribed for migraine) and betahistine dihcl ( for sub optimal temporal window in my left ear) . . . Kindly help
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 47 minutes later

Betacap TR contains Propranolol which is a non-selective beta blocker hence it does have some side effects in organs other than target organs. Side effects like increased heart rate, disturbances in blood pressure, fatigue, and dizziness can be seen with short term dosage but on long term consumption alopecia (hair loss) and abnormal vision can occur. Also since Propranolol can cross the blood brain barrier it can cause some neurological side effects like Insomnia, hallucinations, vivid dreams and nightmares.

Betahistine though less can cause effects like decreased appetite, daytime sleepiness, confusion, hallucinations, etc.

Both the drugs as many other drugs can cause gastric discomfort, nausea and diarrhea. The above side effects are not serious and soon wane off after stopping the medication. Hence you need not worry and proceed with the medication as advised. Do consult your treating doctor if you experience any of the side effects mentioned above.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 34 minutes later
Thank you doctor . . That really helps . . . . For betacap tr . You have mentioned that dizziness is a side effect . . But since I am also taking betahistine side by side. Do I have to worry about it?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You need not worry; dizziness of milder intensity is encountered due to Betacap. There would be no concern about you taking betahistine as dizziness could be corrected by the same.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Thank you so much doctor. My Neuro doctor diagnosed me with suboptimal temporal window in my left ear . . . What does it mean? . . Is it a vestibular problem?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Temporal Window is the term used in study of the ear functioning ability to distinguish discrete frequencies from each other. It can be suboptimal when there is physical damage to the XXXXXXX ear. It can be seen associated with Vestibular diseases too.

Thanks for using this service.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E