What is the safest way of getting sexually involved when diagnosed with HSV-2?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Good Morning. I have a vrey personal question to ask. I have herpes 2. I met a very special man that to my knowledge, does not have the virus himself. We do care for each other and getting to the point of wanting to have sexual contact. I'm scared to death in the first place to bring it up to him but I have to, since I truly care for him. I want to know what is the safest way to have contact with him and to help assure him? I have no current outbreak right now and it has been a while since I've had one. I used to take Valacyclovir on a daily basis and stopped that maybe 2 years ago. I'm taking it now on an as needed basis. Would you suggested me taking it every day to keep the risk lower for him contracting the disease? I'm sorry, this turned out to be a more loaded question than I thought it would be. XXXX

How can we approach having sexual contact safely for him? I'm concerned for him and want him to know I'm taking steps to protect him...

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should take Valacyclovir on daily basis.

Detailed Answer:

Based on your history I think you should continue to take Valacyclovir every day and use condom in order to protect your partner and to lower the possibility of outbreaks, as well of the transmission.

I hope my answer helps you.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 50 minutes later
Would you suggest 500g or 1000g per day for maintenance?

Anyone, 500g or 1000 per day, per my previous question. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest 500 mg per day.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you writing back.

Usually based on the recommendations the dosage of Valacyclovir that I suggest for reduction of transmission of genital herpes for my patients.

(in patients with a history of 9 or fewer recurrences per year) is 500 mg once daily for the source partner.

I hope my answer helps you.

Take care and regards.

Dr. Monika Dede, Infectious Diseases Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T