Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

What is the routine clinical examination for orthopedic assessment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 561 Questions
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Just wanna know..I was send for a Independent Medical Examination to see a Orthopeadic Surgery and a Neurologist after I had a MVA. I was not told what would take place in their office. I had no problem with the Neurologist but when it came to the Orthopeadic Dr, I was not sure what he was ment to do or test or say. I was very uncomfortable with his questions(personal) and the way he behaved. He didn't offer me any dress, made me stand in front of him just with my underwear. Told me to face the wall and put my hands up above my head on the walls and legs apart. His front body was almost pressing me as he moved his hands touching me from the top. Then he asked me why a beautiful women like me was not married. And he kept saying how beautiful I was and had a great body. We were in a high rise building. He didn't pull/close the blinds, made me stand in front of the open window. while everyone from the other building can see me. Then he made me lay on the bed. As he felt and touch parts of my body, it was very uncomfortable and didn't feel right. I just pretended I was not present in my body any more and let him finish doing his job. So I could get out from there as soon as I can. Then he said he would like to catch up with he later one day and see how I was going. I said my phone no and address in right in front of you from the insurance company. Can you please tell me what is he required to XXXXXXX on of this exams?
Thanks for your time..
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I understand how you would be feeling after this incidence. Neurological assessment to rule out possible concussion / intracranial hemorrhage AND orthopedic assessment to rule out bone fracture and joint injuries are routine clinical examination advised following a vehicle accident. Besides this, sometimes a surgeon is also informed to perform abdominal and chest examination to rule out chest and abdominal injuries.

These three specialty expert routinely handle all cases of motor vehicle accidents at most accident and trauma centres.

Orthopedic surgeon in particular examines each and every bones - all 4 limbs, collar bone, pelvis and the spine and if suspicious injury are found, the patient is subjected to X-rays / CT/MRI scan.

I think you should talk your neurologist for opinion about whether further examination is necessary or not. If you need to go to the same orthopedic again, then please take company of your colleague. Alternatively you could ask for a female hospital attendant to be present during examination. It will make you comfortable.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the routine clinical examination for orthopedic assessment? 3 days later
Thank you for your answer Dr XXXXXXX You have told me the routine and the role of a Neurology and orthopedic. These are just internet answers which I already know. But I wanted to know about about the behavior of the Orthopedic doctor. As I told you, I didn't have any problems with the neurology.....
You didn't seem to read though my mail and answer my query.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 hours later
Hi, welcome back XXXXXXX

I have read your mail and query in detail. It looks like intention of orthopedic doctor is not quite good. For the same reason I asked you to take company of female colleagues or ask for female attendants. If possible, you can ask another orthopedician to do the examination, depending on hospital and insurance policy.

It is quite difficult to comment on exact nature of that particular Orthopedician based only on history.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the routine clinical examination for orthopedic assessment? 9 days later
Thanks for your reply Dr XXXXXXX The answers you gave me was not helpful at all. I know his intention was not good at all...I wanna know what is the next step and who do i report too or complain about, what has happen to me and took place in his office. Any advice on thAT.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
There are two choices for you. First is directly speak to medical superintendent of that hospital regarding incidence. Tell him regarding what you want , punishment for doctor or fine.
Other way is you can consult your lawyer and XXXXXXX this orthopaedician directly. Choice is depends on you.

Hope this will work for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor