Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy to relive pain form bulging and herniated disc?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I was in two bad car accidents almost two years ago. I suffer from one bulging disc and one herniated disc. I also developed crops in my right thigh then later in my left. Most days I can live with it. I take abstention 2400mg a day and recently returned to work as a nurse I am also prescribed Percocet 5/325 ti d which seems to have stopped being effective for my pain. I only work per diem so I have no health insurance and without annual m r is they won't adjust my pain meds. I can't function without them and I am finding it hard to function with them. I am at a loss. I also take ibuprofen 600mg 4 times a day. I recently had to move in with my sister cause I lost my home. It's good to be with people but she has 2 yOUNG CHildren that 'require a lot of work. I was so happy to return to work because it was very depressing not working. Any suggestion s
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Amitriptyline and carbamazepine could be an option Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The traumas of disc bulge and herniated disc can be very troublesome and disabling as well. Now that you have already tried ?abstention 2400mg and percocet 5/325 and ibuprofen as well and it seems there is not much pain relief. There is no point in adding any further pain meds as they have their own side-effects and soon you may start having gastric problems as well. Instead a different mechanism has to be sought. Obviously an operative procedure would be the best to get it right, but certainly it involves costs and which is not possible in your case. The other option is to modulate the pain and this can be done by two options. Amitriptyline and Carbamazepine. Both these drugs modulate the pain in the brain and lets you feel better. I prescribe my patients with such pain, Amitriptyline around 50 mg or Carbamazepine 600mg approx. However health care magic being an online platform, I wont be able to prescribe you these drugs but probably you can take the help of your gP in this regard. Further you seem to be lot much stressed and the pain and circumstances are adding to it. Do remember to take out time for your self and do things which give pleasure to you. Your stress may bring back your depression which will be increasing the pain again. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D. Psychiatrist and Pain Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor