What is the remedy for vomiting problem with winter vomiting bug in my child?

Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi My 5 year old has been vomiting over the past 2 1/5 weeks, not every day but about 4 times now. She did have the winter vomiting bug, as did we all. She has been well for the most part but other than gas has no symptoms leading up to the vomitting, which smells ver strong of yeast
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly send in the requested medical data.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I'd like to have more of medical data of your daughter: - is she vomiting after coughing? - or is she vomiting after eating? if yes, how long after having foods? - besides feeling gas, is she feeling constipated? or is she having other bowel problems recently? - is she having runny nose or fever during this time? - does the vomit occur at night or during the day? - could you please indicate the quantity of vomiting? Meanwhile, I'd suggest to: - keep good hygiene - ask her to eat slowly, do not rush and small portions - ask her to drink more water - give her otc probiotics and o.r.s. Looking forward to have the requested medical data of your daughter to assist her further! Thank you, Dr.Bardha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 9 hours later
Thank you for reply - is she vomiting after coughing? No - or is she vomiting after eating? if yes, how long after having foods?, no real pattern, I would say mainly vomitting at night, which would be about 4 hours after last eating. - besides feeling gas, is she feeling constipated? or is she having other bowel problems recently? She has had intermittent dirohea. - is she having runny nose or fever during this time? Slight fever, 37.8. When she was first sick she did get to 39 but it responded to ibuprofen and paracetamol - does the vomit occur at night or during the day? Has happened in the morning but mostly at night. - could you please indicate the quantity of vomiting? Last nights was everything she ate during the day, it was quite plain to see. The morning vomit was not a huge amount But always a very strong smell of yeast
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for providing the requested data. If the winter bug was recent, (before 3 weeks); the intermittent vomiting your daughter is having could be partially related to its effect. She needs more time to get well again. Fungal infection of the GI tract could be a reason, especially when your child has had a previous course of antibiotics. However, you should do the culture of oral swab and stool for candida to rule it out. Vomiting at night could be related to reflux especially if she doesn't use any pillow when sleeping. Another cause could be the foods you give to your daughter. Give her small portions, avoid heavy meals or processed foods. Keep good hygiene when giving her foods. Once you have the results of the requested tests, can forward to me to assist you further! For the time being, I'd suggest to only take care of hygiene and foods she eats. All the best! Dr.Bardha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E