Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for my child suffering from constipation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 512 Questions
I have a 14 days old baby girl who is on Lactogen 1 for the past week. The baby has constipation for more than 36 hours. What is the remedy? Somebody suggested gripe water, is it advisable?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Exclusive breast feeding will help. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to health care magic. Constipation and all tummy related problems are common and will keep happening when the baby is on formula feeds. So if possible, try to put the baby only on breast feeds till atleast 4 to 6 months of age. Please check the way the formula is being prepared. Dilution should be correct. 30 ml of water should be mixed with 1 scoop of powder. If the proportion of milk powder is more and water is less, then constipation is more commonly seen. If the baby is on breast milk also, try to avoid formula milk and feed her with breast milk alone frequently. If the baby is on formula milk alone, try to increase the feeds (frequency and amount in each feeds if possible). You may try this for a day or two. If she does not pass stool even after increasing the feeds, its better to get her seen by a Pediatrician who will give you stool softeners like Lactulose. Please do not start these medications without having your kid seen by a Pediatrician. I would like to emphasize again that exclusive breast milk till 6 months is the best for your baby. Regarding Gripe water, it is given mainly for digestion and colic and we pediatricians do not recommend them. Hope I have answered your query. Please do get back if you need further assistance. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor