Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for fecal incontenance after a recal colon resection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I had a recal colon resection 5 yeas ago. Sine then I hav had fecal incontenance. I have hade the theropy and now have an interstem device but nothing has worked are there any other things that can be done to help my condition? I've been told if I choose to do another surgry i hae a 50/50 chance that it may become worse
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It all depends of the reason of your stool incontinence. If you have had rectal cancer and you have had anterior resection, most probable reason is nerves injury during the surgery. If the junction were done very low (close to the rectum sphincter muscle), also muscle injury is possible. There is plenty of different ways to help with stool incontinence including simple sphincter suture, special pump insertion (artificial bowel sphincter) and interstem device. Unfortunately no matter which method you choose, the chances to make it work for you are no more than 60%. And you may reach the point where colostomy will be the best solution for you. Stool incontinence treatment is a very hard thing and needs to be done by an experienced in this condition surgeon. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the remedy for fecal incontenance after a recal colon resection? 32 hours later
Since the interstem did not work for me and yes it was anterior resection very low. We have been trying to find a dr. the specializes in this but have not been happy with the dr.s we have found. Would you be able to suggest the best place to go for this contion?? Location does not really matter I just want a dr. that will take the time to analyze the problem
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: There is an organisation in your country called International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (see link Maybe they can help you. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor