Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for chronic pain caused by colonectomy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Chronic pain, due to colonectomy (diverticukosis) 2 teaars later lots of pain due to scar tissue built-up; Result was good. But now several years later more such tissue, more pai,n and the advice nothing to do, because I am old (86) --I had looked forward to productive old years, I am otherwise healthy, My Vicadin has not be contimued and now I am miserable. I was to take ver the counter Vicadin, which I discontinued snce itwas of no help whatsoever. How can I have a few nor constructive and enjoyable years> PS Surgery in each cases was Laperoscopy.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Difficult to address such situation Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry for the pain that you have. This is a difficult situation for any surgeon/doctor to address in the clinic. You had colectomy and most probably piling up adhesions in the abdomen. The bowels are sticking to each other and the natural adhesionolysis is stopped at this age. The surgeon cannot re operate and remove the adhesions as it most likely lead to puncture of bowel. You can imagine boiling pasta and let it cool. It dries and sticks. When you pick it with hand and most likely break. So the bowels are in such a state. So probably the well-known surgical wisdom that "operating purely to cure pain only brings pain". For such a patients I would give them a moderate pain killer (opioid) plus Gabapentin to raise the pain tolerance. At the same time counseling and referral to psychologist how to tackle pain suggested. Modifying the choice of foods sometimes help. Hope you understand the difficulty to giving reasonable options.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor