What is the remedy for bilirubin?

Posted on Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Question: a 3 days old male baby is having bilirubin 24. Phototherapy has been started about 24 hours back. blood sample was taken about 11 hours back and reported so..Coombs test direct report is negative. what should we do?
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: repeat blood test Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to health care magic. It's better to repeat bilirubin levels . If it is decreasing you can continue phototherapy. Usually it takes 2 to 3 days for bilirubin to come to below phototherapy range. Continue breast feeds plus formula feeds . If it is increasing your baby may need exchange transfusion. Regards, Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology