What is the relation between thyroid level and conception?

Dr. Anantharaman

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Is 0.1 reading of TSH level normal ?.I have no abnormal symptoms.Also what is the corelation between thyroid levels and conception for pregnancy ?Is there any ideal level for conception ?
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
The reading of 0.1 TSH is very low. You need to lower your thyroid hormone dose to 62.5 microgram/day. This needs to be done after consulting your physician. Ideally your TSH should be between 0.5 and 2.5 before conception. Though this is what is recommended conception does occur even if the TSH level is slightly higher or lower. Generally, lower thyroid hormone levels (low levels of T4) do cause problems in conceiving. We recommend the ideal range just so that later adjustment of thyroid hormone dose during pregnancy is easier (it has to be increased 25% after conception). Your low TSH is because of slight over replacement. However, it does not usually produce symptoms of thyroid hormone excess.
Hope that answers your question
Anantharaman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli