What is the reddish purple skin discoloration near armpit

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband, a healthy 71 yr old, has a grapefruit size reddish-purple discoloration on his left pec near his armpit. It does not hurt nor does it look like a bruise. He hasn't notice any change in this spot since he first noticed it about 3 days ago. Any ideas on what this may be? Should he have medical attention? Thank you for your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a ecchymosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I have read your question and I believe it can be any of the following.
1.Ecchymosis - It is due to collection of blood under skin due to rubbing. It is common in this age due to weak blood vessels.
2. Dermatitis- It can be a contact dermatitis from bug or dust but as there is no itching so its chances are less.
If you can send me the image then I can diagnose it with confirmation. Otherwise
I would suggest you to show it to doctor to confirm the cause. Though it is not an emergency. Also it does not need any treatment.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other questions .
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj