What is the reddish purple skin discoloration near armpit

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My husband, a healthy 71 yr old, has a grapefruit size reddish-purple discoloration on his left pec near his armpit. It does not hurt nor does it look like a bruise. He hasn't notice any change in this spot since he first noticed it about 3 days ago. Any ideas on what this may be? Should he have medical attention? Thank you for your feedback.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a ecchymosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I have read your question and I believe it can be any of the following.
1.Ecchymosis - It is due to collection of blood under skin due to rubbing. It is common in this age due to weak blood vessels.
2. Dermatitis- It can be a contact dermatitis from bug or dust but as there is no itching so its chances are less.
If you can send me the image then I can diagnose it with confirmation. Otherwise
I would suggest you to show it to doctor to confirm the cause. Though it is not an emergency. Also it does not need any treatment.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other questions .
Thanks.