What is the recovery time after surgery for loose cartlidge in elbow?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son went to an ortho doctor today. He is a quarterback and has had some trouble with his elbow hurting when he is throwing the ball. The doctor order an MRI for next week, he think he has a loose cartlidge in his elbow but the MRI will tell if so. He said the result will depend on if he will need surgery or if he will be able to give some exercises to strengthen his elbow. My question is, if surgery is needed what is the recovery time and the same with the excercises. Football season is near and he is worried about if he will get to play this year.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI report will guide us

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. If on MRI there is a small piece say around 5mm then only removal of the piece followed by exercises is the protocol. So,it takes only 2-3 week time for recovery. If on the other side loose cartilage piece is big enough and requires fixation it usually takes 4-6 week time for recovery.
So it all depends on MRI report and what we will be finding at operation, if required.
If the surgery required is done by minimal incision that is by arthroscopically, the recovery time is reduced drastically.
You may discuss about the arthroscopy with your Orthopaedic surgeon.

Hope your query is answered and if you have further query I shall be glad to answer them.