What is the recommended schedule for the Hepatitis-B vaccine?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 19 Jan 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Doc, my question is around Hepatitis B vaccination. I hear that we need to take 3 injections at certain intervals to complete the dose. As part of an offer at my workplace, i took the first two at recommed intervals by end of 2015, but i missed taking the third one as i had to travel out of the country for a few months after that. Will it be effective if i take the third injection now after a years time? What are the repurcussions of not taking the third injection? If i have to complete the vaccine dossage, do i have to take all three again now?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You can take the third dose now.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. The two vaccines that you have taken would be enough to provide immunity to you. The third vaccine serves as a booster of this immunity and can even be taken at a later date (after a year as in this case). You need not take all three again.

Feel free to ask me back in case of further queries.