Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

What is the reason for severe vaginal pain during intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
My gynecologist does not know what is wrong with me. I have extreme pain during intercourse. There is no itching, burning, or smells, but at the time of penetration, I feel as though a knife is being stuck in me. Apparently (according to my gynecologist) I have lines that look like ligaments within my vagina. I have had a CT Scan done, but nothing was found. I'm 30, 5'4, and 200 pounds. The pain started two Septembers ago.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 34 minutes later

The symptoms what you are having is called Dyspareunia.

The diagnosis of dyspareunia is made when the patient complains of recurrent or persistent genital pain before, during, or after sexual intercourse that is not caused exclusively by lack of lubrication or by vaginismus.

There are may causes ranging from infection, dryness, endometriosis, mechanical narrowing to psychological.

In your case, there is a temporal associated with fingering and likely vaginal injury. Due to this, there is likely fibrous strands which have formed at the vaginal opening. Although they might not be apparent on CT scan , it likely that its not allowing the vaginal orifice to expand normally. This is causing this shearing pain during penetration. Your gynaecologist has noticed ligaments inside vagina. These are preventing proper expansion of the vaginal wall. And hence pain.

You will need Manual Physical Therapy which can gradually expand these fibrous ligaments and reduce your discomfort. In extreme case, a surgical excision will be necessary.

Please consult your Gynaecologist in this context.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Child Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor